Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to Naturally Thicken Your Hair

by Sherrell Dorsey of Organic Beauty Vixen


My head is big. I’ve dealt with that fact my entire life and struggled with finding the right hats to add style without drawing attention to the circumference. Although my head is pretty voluptuous my hair is pretty thin. Keeping my hair natural has allowed me to keep up the appearance of thick hair but I’ve always envied those with hair to spare.

I did everything to get that full mane including adding an egg to my shampoo and over-saturating my hair with conditioners all to end up in vain. Now, since my hair is locked, I’ve been able to focus on how to pair my normal hair care routine with natural treatments to keep my locks healthy, breakage-free and nurtured.

Here are a few quick ways to keep your hair strong and naturally thicken your hair:

Hair Vitamins – I’ve been on my Viviscal kick for the past few months which has helped to add incredible moisture to my hair. My edges have been regrowing slowly as well but I’m also wearing my hair down more these days to prevent further breakage.

Natural Oils- Get your aromatherapy on by massaging your scalp regularly with natural oils you can easily apply to your scalp and hair. Oils like lavender, rosemary, jojoba, and grapeseed are natural solutions to help thicken your hair as you circulate your blood flow and encourage hair growth.

Eggs – Adding an egg to my shampoo wasn’t enough. Try mixing up a quick hair mask by applying the egg onto your hair, massage in and leave it on for no longer than five minutes. Do this egg mask treatment weekly to add protein to your hair and strengthen your strands.

Stay away – Shampoos that contain sulfates like sodium laureth sulfate can strip your hair of it’s natural oils. Sulfates are detergents, terrible for color, and give your shampoo that lather at the expense of your precious locks. Carol’s Daughter Monoi collection is what I’ve been using the past few months that contain coconut oil and help to reduce breakage and strengthen hair. Paraben and Sulfate free my locks have never felt softer and more healthy.

What have you done to naturally thicken your hair? Please share your tips and remedies with me.


CN Says:

*singing* you already know...

By now, I'm sure you're aware that I love big hair. For me, a steady vitamin regimen, henna and low manipulation styles coupled with finger detangling get 'er done.

Vitamins- Still taking Green Vibrance... not as regularly as I should, but at least 4 times a week

Henna- I've been regularly henna'ing for 2 months now and plan to do another treatment next weekend. I have 1-3 inch long hairs sprouting out around my hair line... behind my ears, at my nape... baby hairs popping! It's amazing how the henna can strengthen strands that may have been to weak to grow out previously. In a year or so, I should definitely be able to detect an increase in volume.

Low manipulation styles- It's simple really. The less I play in my hair, the fewer strands I lose prematurely to damage. I also find that using my fingers, as opposed to a paddle brush or comb, keeps more strands on my head.


***************************************

Sherrell Dorsey is a natural beauty expert, writer, speaker and advocate of health, wellness and sustainability in communities of color. In addition to creating OrganicBeautyVixen.com, Sherrell writes beauty articles for Tyra Banks's beauty and fashion site TypeF.com, Jones Magazine, MySalonScoop.com and Posh Beauty. Follow Sherrell on twitter at www.twitter.com/organicvixen and connect with her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/OBVMedia


Cited here: Curly Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment